Monday, December 9, 2013

The Year of the Run

Edgar A. Morales
I don’t think this is the year I have run the most, but since it is the only one where I have tracked my progress it will work as a parameter for what will come next. It has been a lot of fun, and I am very interested n improving my performance as an athlete.

I picked up running a couple of years ago as preferred method of exercise after a long break. I will fully recognize that part of the reason why it took me so long to get out there was my overall attitude after a relapse on an old knee injury. But bygones are bygones.

Sometime around early March I set as a goal to run 600 miles before the end of the year. To be honest, I don’t know if I will make it. I am sitting at 511 miles, and enjoying a strained calf with less than a month to go. But I can honestly say that I have no regrets, and still feel pretty accomplished about what I did throughout the year.  

I managed to run two half-marathons, The Rock & Roll Half Marathon in June and the Silver Strand Distance Classic; both challenging, but very different from each other. I might write about them later on. I was also able to run a 10k in Balboa Park in October, and completed several long distance runs ranging from 8 to 12 miles. A few years ago, this probably wouldn't have been in my schedule. But now it is, and I am very glad of this.

Shoutout to all the people who were cheering me on and were kind enough to show interest in my progress: Mario, Alfredo, Manny, Isis, Tim, Christian, Sandra, David, and of course my beautiful wife Tania. 

Below are some of my best times this 2013, and I guess the marks I will try to beat this 2014!

3 miles – 23min 28s 
Jul 3 

4 miles – 31min 17s 
Nov 15

5 miles – 41m 37s 
Sep 26 

10k (6.32 miles) – 49m 30s 
Sep 29

½ Marathon (13.27 miles) – 1h 51m 
Nov 17


No comments:

Post a Comment